What To Eat Before Summer Workouts

Foodblog (1 of 1)-2

I’ve had evening soccer games all summer. The games are either at 5:45 p.m. or 7:10 p.m. and are 70 minutes long. Often, we don’t have any women subs and I have to (or rather, get to!) play the whole game with only a halftime rest. So proper fuel and hydration planning are both quite important.

Playing our games at dinner hour is always a little tricky. I need to find the balance between fueling for the game, having a relatively empty stomach to play on, and not getting too hungry. At 4:00 p.m. this wouldn’t be too hard, but for a 7:10 p.m. game, when a real dinner won’t be eaten until after 9:00 p.m, it has been a bit more challenging! Once or twice I resorted to cereal for dinner and called it a night, but I try to make getting a good recovery meal with vegetables a priority.

Sports nutrition is a very personal topic. Some people I know can eat a big dinner or sandwich and be totally fine to run. Others can’t have eaten at all. I’m somewhere in the middle. I can’t do salads or veggies, but I can do fruits, dairy, smoothies, and other snacky things and be fine if I eat them at least an hour before.

Foodblog (1 of 1)

Here’s my food plan on a 7:10 p.m. soccer night:

1:00 p.m. // Big + late lunch. I try to make lunch a little bigger and a little later than normal with the goal of not being too hungry by game time. I also avoid anything that might be too strong or burpy (like sardines or garlicky kale!).

5:00 p.m. // Snack + hydration. If I’m feeling really hungry I will make a smoothie with banana, milk, oats and some Vega powder (the Coconut Almond is my favorite!) or have half a PB&J sandwich. My goal here is higher carbs with a little protein / fat for staying power, plus something that will fill me up enough to not be thinking about dinner at halftime!

Foodblog (1 of 1)-9

If I’m just a little hungry or I’m cutting it closer to game time, I’ll have a banana with peanut butter. It’s always been one of my favorite pre-workout snacks! I’ll also chug some water on the side.

Foodblog (1 of 1) copy

6:30 p.m. // Vega Clean Energy(This one is also good – at Whole Foods!) In the interest of full disclosure, Vega sent me this as a sample to try, but I like it! Think of it as an all-natural, milder Red Bull (without quite that much caffeine). When I first tried it I had two full Sunday games, and definitely noticed that I had more energy than usual. I think it really gives a nice little kick! It also has simple carbohydrates, and within an hour of game time is ideal to take in about 15-20 grams of simple carbohydrates to ramp you up. Plus you’re getting fluids, which are important to top off.

7:10 p.m. // Game time! I take both water and Vega Sport Electrolytes with me. I used to have Gatorade powder, but I wanted something more natural and knew Vega would have something. I found this at Whole Foods and like it a lot! It’s just electrolytes and no sugar (unlike Gatorade!) I wish I could say I made my homemade sports drink all the time, but most of the time I’m flying out the door and just don’t have time. My bad!

Foodblog (1 of 1)-2

You know what else is great for hydration + electrolytes? Watermelon!

Foodblog (1 of 1)

9:00 p.m. // Dinner. If I have timed my snacks right (and / or opted for a larger snack) I usually don’t want a very big dinner after the game. Plus, my appetite is always a little suppressed after that kind of intense exercise. I aim to get in some good veggies and protein. Sometimes a Champion Shower Beer in the shower!

10:00 p.m. // Crash into bed. 

Check out these two posts on sports nutrition from my guest RD series!

Fueling For Sports

Sports Nutrition: Trending Topics



from Kath Eats Real Food http://ift.tt/2ax1yfR

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049