MERF: Teaching Mazen To Cook

KERF9

^^Mazen’s first food photography!

I’ve mentioned before that Mazen is a typical picky eater. He’s not all Plain Jane, and he does have a handful of very healthy foods that he likes, but I would never use the terms “adventurous” or “well rounded” to describe his diet. I can’t help but compare his meals to those of other kids I know (I’m looking at you Eat Live Run and Daily Garnish!) and feel like a failure as a mom. We’ve done our best to present a variety of healthy options and enthusiastically model healthy eating, but sometimes I wonder if it’s just luck of the draw. We do have a very strong-willed personality over here!

KERF1

Matt has done a really good job of cooking with Mazen this past year, and not surprisingly Mazen has tried many more new foods at Matt’s house. So I decided I needed to step up my game and work on our meals: shopping, preparing, and eating together.

KERF4

Mazen doesn’t like spaghetti (I know, right?!) but he LOVES pizza, so my idea for a meal was to put his favorite pizza toppings on noodles. This isn’t a gold-star meal, but it incorporates several vegetables and is only one step away from something he really likes. Matt has had good success with assemble-yourself meals, so I kept everything separate and we built our bowls together.

MAZEN meal

So how did it go? Really well!!! He loved the assembly, and while he didn’t gobble it all down, he ate a little of everything (veggies included).

KERF6

Yes the pepperoni was the biggest hit : )

KERF10

We said “cheers” with his and hers kombuchas too!

KERF12

And he took photos of his bowl and of me using my big camera – not bad for his first time!

KERF7

I have since also done a DIY taco bar with him (which was not a big hit) and homemade pizza (which was). I’d love any more ideas of meals your kids love to help make!



from Kath Eats Real Food http://ift.tt/2aHtWdq

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049