Lunch Box Surprises

These fun lunch box ideas are brought to you by Mini Babybel®

I still remember the exciting element of surprise when I would open my lunch box as a little girl and survey its contents. I remember those sandwich bags with the fold-over tops that sent crackers spilling out if you picked them up the wrong way (I always wanted the more expensive zip locks that my friends had!). I remember telling my friends that my bagel with cream cheese was actually a donut with frosting in the 4th grade. I remember swapping sandwiches with my friend Brittney after Thanksgiving because her mom made the most amazing leftover turkey and mayo combination. And I have a vivid memory of opening my lunch box as a little girl and finding a hot pink, sparkly cat hair clip inside, hidden among grapes and a sandwich. Every-so-often my mom would put inedible surprises and notes in there, and those were the most special days.

Me at camp pickup: “Mazen, what did you have for lunch today?!”

Mazen: “Mommy you know. You packed it!”

^^ Nose kiss!

When packing Mazen’s lunches for camp this summer, I’ve been focusing on variety and trying to include the main food groups as well as fun finger foods and little treats. He eats a packed lunch most days of the week, so I don’t want him resorting to the bland or boring day after day and try to keep the meals as exciting as possible. One of my favorite snacks to include (and one of Mazen’s favorites too!) is Mini Babybel. Made with 100% real cheese, it’s a delicious and fun lunchbox idea.

Some of my favorite fun lunch box foods include:

  • MiniBabybel® cheese (a-peeling in so many ways 😉 )
  • Little pepperoni
  • Fresh fruit like strawberries or a banana/apple
  • Baby carrots with sunbutter or one big carrot (so he can “eat like a bunny”)
  • Dried pea sticks (I count this as a vegetable 😉 )
  • A mini kale salad (one of Mazen’s favorite healthy foods)
  • Kids yogurt cups or frozen “popsicles” made from smoothies that halfway melt
  • A handful of spinach leaves with a dip
  • A slice of leftover pizza (which often includes a few vegetable toppings)

And, just like my mom did for me, every now and then I throw in an inedible surprise. This time it was a sheet of Minion stickers (because Mazen just watched that movie on our Bald Head car trip). I asked him if there was anything cool in his lunch that day and instead of his usual, “You know!” response, he was excited to tell me about his stickers. “I wonder how they got in there?!” I said.

My little camper is having a great time this summer! He’s been doing a variety of different camps to keep his weeks interesting, including two new ones this year. We tug on our invisible strings during the morning and through lunch, and then we have the afternoons to ride bikes or play in the pool!

For more tips on how to make lunch deliciously fun, make sure you check out Mini Babybel on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!

Thanks to Mini Babybel for sponsoring this post and keeping lunch boxes everywhere exciting! I am a brand ambassador this year, and all opinions are my own. 

The post Lunch Box Surprises appeared first on Kath Eats Real Food.



from Kath Eats Real Food http://ift.tt/2whj7tS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049