Have you ever been near a window inside your home when the sunshine was coming in just right and saw little particles floating in the air? I’m sorry to tell you that this isn’t just dirt… and that there is a lot more lurking in those little particles (carcinogens, hormone disruptors, bacteria, developmental toxins), which go right into your body every time you breathe.
Even if your house is super clean and although you can’t always see these particles in the air, we’ve all got some level of dust in our home – which is just the reality of modern day life, full of industrial chemicals. Everyday household items like your furniture, carpets, flooring, window shades, cleaning products, beauty products, paint, clothing, and beds, are emitting microscopic chemicals into the air, which float around and settle onto surfaces as dust.
Researchers at George Washington University tested household dust samples and found 45 toxic chemicals, many of which were floating in the air before settling on the ground and other surfaces as dust. They found everything ranging from flame retardants, fluorinated chemicals, and phthalates. Breaking new research has found that some of these particles can alter hormones, triggering the body to store fat.
Who’d ever think that household dust could be quietly sabotaging your weight!? It’s crazy, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
While outdoor air pollution has been classified as a carcinogen (causes cancer) by the International Agency for Research on Cancer – the air we breathe inside of our homes can be even worse! The EPA says that indoor air pollution is about 2 to 5 times greater than the air outside, and is sometimes 100 times worse than the air you breathe outside. I was shocked when I found that out!
Many of these pollutants are also developmental toxins, and now that I have a little one at home who will be crawling soon, this is one of my #1 concerns. The last thing I want is for my daughter to crawl around on flooring contaminated with toxic dust and breathing in these chemicals. Her tiny body is more susceptible to these toxic invaders.
“The findings suggest that people, and especially children, are exposed on a daily basis to multiple chemicals in dust that are linked to serious health problems” ~ lead study author Ami Zota at The George Washington University
What’s in household air that could be quietly harming your health…
- Microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, and fungus. These can cause sickness in the body and mold to grow in your house. Exposure to mold is related to increased risk of allergies and asthma.
- Volatile Organic Compounds (also known as “VOC”), which are emitted from common household items like furniture. Some VOCs are known to cause cancer such as benzene, formaldehyde, and acetone.
- Microscopic particles from industrial pollution, agricultural chemicals, car exhaust, and smoke, which increase the risk of birth defects, lung cancer, asthma, and other lung diseases.
- Ultrafine particles that have the ability to penetrate deeply into the lungs which can lead to inflammation and may penetrate other organs in the body, such as the brain. These particles are linked to increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, and Parkinson’s disease.
Here’s how to protect yourself and everyone that lives in your home…
- Stop using products with added fragrances, parabens, or phthalates. Check your beauty products for hazardous chemicals on the EWG Skin Deep database.
- Replace plastic containers with glass and stainless steel.
- Dust surfaces in your home with a damp cloth, mop floors, and vacuum often.
- Replace plastic toys that may contain phthalates with those that are made with non-toxic materials.
If you wouldn’t drink unfiltered water, why would you breathe unfiltered air?
Even if I’m eating the purest, most organic food in the world and drinking the cleanest filtered water around, I know that the air I breathe is just as important! I started using this air purifier in my home and cannot believe the difference in how well I feel and sleep.
We obviously can’t all live in a bubble, but we should do our best to make sure the environment we live in isn’t toxic. Using this air purifier has really given me the peace of mind that the air in my home is safe, especially for my daughter!
As I always want to share with you what works for me, I partnered up with Intellipure to make it easier for you to try the same air purifier I’ve been using. My team was able to negotiate a special deal just for you. Get $200 off a brand new system + free replacement filters with your purchase. Here are the details…
VISIT INTELLIPURE AND ADD THE FOLLOWING ITEMS TO YOUR CART:
- Intellipure Ultrafine 468
- 1 Ultrafine 468 VOC Post-Filter Replacement ($59 value)
- 1 Ultrafine 468 VOC Pre-Filter Replacement ($19.99 value)
ENTER THE CODE “FOODBABE” AT CHECKOUT TO RECEIVE:
- $200 off your system and both filter replacements for free. That’s $278.99 in discounts!
Here’s why I love the Intellipure:
- It’s 40 times more effective than HEPA filters because it can trap particles as small as .007 microns (HEPA filters only filter down to .3 microns). This means it is more effective at trapping dangerous microscopic particles and VOCs.
- Their patented DFS (Disinfecting Filtration System) is super powerful, removing 99.99% of harmful viruses, fungi, molds, and bacteria from the air.
- Unlike HEPA filters, it doesn’t trap viruses and bacteria that can multiply and cause secondary pollution. The Intellipure technology kills them so that they do not accumulate.
- It’s super quiet and sounds like light white noise while I sleep. This is a very important aspect to me!
- It’s on wheels! This is awesome because I’m able move it around the house during the day.
- It’s very energy-efficient, using only about 1 watt per hour when in low or sleep mode (which is how I usually use it). So you won’t rack up a big electricity bill!
- It’s made right here in America and they offer free shipping on orders over $200 within the continental U.S (excludes Hawaii and Alaska)
- They have 6 month interest-free financing available through PayPal.
If you know anyone who would like tips to help clean up their air, please share this post with them. Let’s help everyone live in a less toxic world!
Posts may contain affiliate links for products Food Babe has approved and researched herself. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same (or at a discount if a special code is offered) and Food Babe will automatically receive a small referral fee. Your support is crucial because it helps fund this blog and helps us continue to spread the word. Thank you.
from Food Babe http://ift.tt/2wRWs7k