What Thomas Has Taught Me

Whether it’s your spouse, children, furry friends, or best friends, give someone a smooch today!

They always say that the strongest relationships bring out the best in one another. Thomas and I are similar in so many ways. We are both strong-willed and driven, goofy and a little dorky (but we think we’re cool), eager to solve problems, and lovers of many of the same things: iMessage (which we discussed in detail on our first date), playing soccer, and Half Baked ice cream, to name a few. We often finish each other’s thoughts. I can’t tell you how many times we’ve said “I was just about to say that!” or we call each other at the same time.

We complement one another in other ways though, and these are some of the things that Thomas has taught me.

Doing things the right way

I love a good short cut, but Thomas is go big or go home. Whether it’s building things, the way he runs his business, making a purchase, or simply cooking a meal, the guy does not cut corners. In our wedding vows I wrote “You have taught me that anything worth doing is worth doing right.” He is the tortoise, I am the hare. He wins every time!

The Benefit of The Rinse-Off Shower

Much to his embarrassment, I’m confessing to you all that Thomas takes a LOT of showers. You might think of that as wasteful, but he is very quick (sometimes less than one minute). He always smells so clean, and I have picked on the habit as well. I have come to realize how much better I feel taking a quick rinse-off shower too, perhaps when my workout is hours away, when I’m heading out to the beach, or I’ve gotten just a little sweaty during the day. I used to be a consistent once-a-day showerer (usually late morning after my workout) but sometimes I will hop in just to rinse off and feel so much more energized for the day or night.

Forgiveness

I tend to hold grudges, and it’s hard for me to shake off emotions. This is probably because I am a Scorpio! When Thomas comes into conflict, he wants to solve the problem and forgive right away. He’s taught me that nothing good comes out of holding a grudge and made me a better person for it. We have had very few fights in our time together because we don’t let anger override respect.

Gettin’ Cozy

I used to wear my daily outfit until I got into my PJs for bed, but Thomas has taught me the wonderful feeling of changing into lounge clothes right after dinner. The extra change of clothes seemed too much for my brain, but it takes 10 seconds to do! I’d watch him change into cozy clothes and feel all stiff in my jeans and shirts, so I started adopting the habit too. Turns out my Lou & Grey cozies are SO much more comfortable for evening TV and tea. Speaking of tea, T makes a cup of tea every night, and now our nights would be weird without it! I always have Sleepytime with a teaspoon of honey.

Sports Are Kinda Fun!

I’ve never really been into watching sports, except for Duke Basketball, but I’ve also never really had a good reason to watch. My life turned upside-down upon marrying a sports-a-holic! You might think that I’d be annoyed with all of the watching (football season, golf season, basketball, soccer, hockey – it’s year round and never-ending!) but instead I’ve really tried to embrace it all. Joining a Fantasy Football team made all the difference! (Sorry, I can’t get into hockey…)

I could go on and on about the ways this man has changed my life! We each wrote our own vows, mirroring the same format, but we ended them with the same line:

I promise to give you the best of myself, for I know that together we will build a life far better than either of us can imagine alone. 

<3

Happy Valentine’s Day!

The post What Thomas Has Taught Me appeared first on Kath Eats Real Food.



from Kath Eats Real Food http://ift.tt/2o9kBEm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049