Baby: Nesting 2.0.

Mama started making a nest.

Sarah is throwing us a co-ed baby sprinkle later this summer and wants me to do a registry for anything we might need. (Just like getting married for a second time, I find it a little embarrassing to do a registry, but there are things we need. I just want to emphasize to guests that gifts are 100% not necessary! But just like the wedding, this is Thomas’s first newborn, so I know he wants to experience all parts of the fun of having a baby.) Anyways, before I knew what we might need, I had to take inventory of what we had. I gave away a lot of the baby stuff I didn’t think I’d use again, so I honestly didn’t remember what was pushed in the back of the downstairs closet or the attic. I was pleased with how much I found!

After taking inventory, I though “Gosh, I don’t need anything!” And then I made some lists, and it turns out my need/want list is actually kind of long. BUT it includes a lot of inexpensive/easy to get items and most of the big ticket things we already have.

Don’t need

  • Newborn or 0-3 clothing
  • Blankets (thick ones)
  • Sleep sacks/swaddlers
  • Wipe warmer
  • Bath towels/washclothes
  • Baby bath tub
  • Boppy and My Breast Friend
  • Carrier and wrap (have both)
  • Car seat covers (have two)
  • Baby seat
  • Crib, bumpers, mattress, sheets
  • Changing pad and covers
  • Dresser/changing table
  • Baby toys
  • Baby books (have a million)
  • Pack and play
  • Baby bath tub
  • Diaper genie
  • High chair (Sarah borrowed mine and it’s beyond use at this point so she’s getting me a new one as a gift!)
  • Paci clips
  • Monitor
  • Running stroller
  • Umbrella stroller
  • Cloth diaper collection (we’re hoping to use these after the first month or so)
  • Baby food maker (Emily just gave me hers!) and storage containers/pouches/etc.
  • Pack n play
  • Nursing tanks and bras
  • Breast pump (I have my old one and a new one on the way too plus my old hand-held!)
  • Bottles (I have 2-3, might need a few more)
  • Convertible car seat (my Clef Foonf has a 9 year lifetime.)
  • Toys – we have soooo many!
  • Nose Frida (Google it!)

Need

  • Burp cloths (Surprisingly! My stash seems small and the ones I had were grossly stained.)
  • Muslin swaddle blankets (because Mazen still plays with his!)
  • Baby socks (remember when I got in trouble on the internet for not having those?!)
  • Diapers + wipes (hoping to cloth diaper, but not right away)
  • Bibs (I could only find plastic ones that were for catching food and no drool catching ones)
  • Infant car seat
  • Pacifiers
  • Thermometer (always hated the ear one I had with Mazen – recs?)
  • Boogie Wipes

Want

  • Halo Bassinet (I gave away my rock n play and really want something that swivels over the bed verses using the pack n play)
  • A second nursing cover
  • Pajamas (I never feel like I have enough!)
  • A second changing pad (since we’re doing upstairs/downstairs)
  • A second wipe warmer (for upstairs)
  • Dock a Tot (Or similar nest for naps. They make a marble one!! Total want, not need.)
  • Everyday stroller
  • New diaper bag (my old one is no where to be found! I love the Skip Hop ones.)

Not Worrying About

  • A swing. Mazen only liked his for a short period and they are so darn big. But if someone gifted or loaned me one I’d be very appreciative.
  • Multiple bouncy seats for different rooms
  • Play mats (I can just use blankets with toys)
  • A glider. Overrated.

In the process of taking inventory, I cleaned out the office closet (moved everything to the spare room downstairs that will become the office again sometime this year) and then put the baby stuff in the nursery closet.

I LOVE THE SHELVES that Thomas built! The big baskets have blankets, towels, and crib bedding and the tub on the floor is all of our 3-12 month clothing easily accessible when we need it.

Lastly, I put all of the newborn clothing and nursing attire for me up in the empty dresser in the master bedroom.

I’m imagining this dresser being our upstairs/nighttime baby storage and station for the first 3-6 months. And the nursery on the main level being the daytime diaper/clothing/nap area.

Even though I’m not even halfway there yet, I feel super organized already. It’s so nice already having so much of this stuff!

I’ve been reading some of Baby KERF and came across this to-do list post that I wrote about the same weeks last time – must be something about 17/18 weeks when the reality sets in. I was able to mentally cross of SO many things the second time around. I’m not planning on doing childbirth or baby care classes or reading a bunch of books this time. I have a crib, furniture, pediatrician, and nursing bras. I definitely feel more relaxed that I’ve done this once before and babies don’t really need much stuff. I also know that every baby is different, so we might take a different path this time around!

As far as the old to-do list is concerned, buying an infant car seat, pack a hospital bag, and take a nap are the only important things we have to do in the next 20-something weeks!

The post Baby: Nesting 2.0. appeared first on Kath Eats Real Food.



from Kath Eats Real Food https://ift.tt/2rJ3zPV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049