A Sardine-Packed Trip To NYC

You may have caught on Instagram that I took a quick trip to NYC on Monday and Tuesday! On Monday night and Tuesday I attended a Culinary Workshop with the Cans Get You Cooking program put on by the Can Manufacturers Institute. I took a super early flight on Monday so I could spend the day with my little niece Emerson!

I was up at 4 am for the flight and got to NYC in time for breakfast with my sister and Em. (PS. My doctor told me I could fly until 36 weeks, but this was my last trip!)

We walked to Stumptown Coffee where I got a delicious cappuccino. I had toast with almond butter at Larbs’s apartment.

We went for a long (hot) walk along the Brooklyn waterfront.

Our walk ended at a food hall in downtown Brooklyn where Larbs and I shared two delicious dishes: an arepa with avocado, plantains, and cheese that was SO GOOD!

And this tapas plate, which we barely touched because per usual we ordered too much food. (The lighting down in the underground was fantastic…not.)

I was saving room for some Ample Hills ice cream! The nice lady helping us convinced us to ry the 6-scoop sampler, which we thought would be 6 tiny scoops. It ended up being 6 LARGE scoops, and boy were we happy. This was the best ice cream I’ve ever had! Marshmallow rice krispie, two kinds of gooey cake, honey, and cookies and sweet cream. Epic flavors!

We walked back to the apartment only to find Emerson had lost a shoe and we had to double back, covering about 5 miles total over the course of the morning! I was exhausted after getting up so early and walking so much in the heat!

I was ready for a nap just like Emerson. Larbs got us an Ollie Swaddle, which she swears by, and Em was thrilled to show me how it worked. She didn’t want to be unwrapped!

She went down for her nap, and I took a Lyft to Manhattan for mine!

I had just enough time for a short nap and a great shower before heading out to dinner with the Cans group. We were all registered dietitians, so it was really fun to connect and chat all things nutrition and the media.

We hopped in cabs and went to Huertas in the East Village for dinner. They had a mocktail for me, which was much appreciated! This was made with peach juice (from a can!) and it was perfectly tart. I loved it!

The chef spoke to us about how canning has been used for many years in Spain to preserve and share the abundance of seafood they have there. Many of the tapas we shared were made with canned foods like clams, tuna, artichokes, beans, and even canned potatoes!

I loved the dessert – Granita de Cereza: cherry granita (featuring canned cherries) with yogurt mousse.

I was happy to be in bed by 8:30 and asleep shortly after. We had an early start the next day!

Our workshop started with breakfast at the office with yogurt parfaits, eggs, and fruit.

We spent the morning learning about the history, research, benefits, and trends of canned goods. Current staples in my house are canned fish (sardines, tuna, salmon), beans, pumpkin, coconut, tomato products, and artichokes. I learned I have more I should add! I hope to share more in depth with you later this year.

We were treated to a cooking demo from chef and cookbook author Jackie Newgent, RDN, CDN. She made two fantastic dishes, including an awesome salad dressing made from canned apricots!

Our lunch spread included her dishes – a summery salad with goat cheese balls rolled in pistachios and canned artichokes – and a Caribbean Wok dish with beans and veggies. (This was my first time having canned sweet potato cubes – yum!) I also had the most delicious s’mores cookie!

After lunch we walked to the Institute of Culinary Education in the Meredith building where we participated in a canned food cooking challenge.

My group, including Katie and Lauren, was in charge of coming up with an entree recipe in one hour’s time using pre-selected ingredients.

We came up with a Lemon Parsley Pesto with Fettuccini, Lemon Zest, Chicken and Red Pepper. (The broth used in the pesto, chicken and olives were all from cans!)

Food photographer and owner of SeeFood Media Jamie Tiampo was there to give us photography tips and captured beautiful images of our recipes. We also learned a lot from professional food stylist Diane Vezza : )

This photo was actually taken with an iPhone in portrait mode – I need to upgrade my phone this fall just to get this feature!

Another team created this yummy shrimp gazpacho.

We wrapped up the day with some taste testing and were on our way back to the airport. I was very impressed with LaGuardia’s healthy food options – they had a whole salad bar/hot bar option! Much better than a soggy sandwich.

This was my last blog trip for who-knows-how-long. When Mazen was a baby, I didn’t travel without him until weaning at 14 months, so I’m not sure what the next year will bring. I am thankful I got in one last hurrah!

Disclosure: my travel and hotel were provided by the Can Manufacturers Institute. 

The post A Sardine-Packed Trip To NYC appeared first on Kath Eats Real Food.



from Kath Eats Real Food https://ift.tt/2POvEzG

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049