Confetti Chopped Salad

When we first met, Thomas used to make fun of me for always using the phrase “little tiny.”

A “little tiny” nap.

A “little tiny” sip.

A “little tiny” pinch of salt.

I think I get it from my mom :mrgreen:

So when I was making this salad, which features a bunch of finely diced vegetables, I almost named it a “little tiny” salad. Not for its size but for its contents.

I had a lightbulb moment about vegetables recently. I often chop them big because it’s easier and requires less precision on the cutting board. But I actually prefer my vegetables to be finely diced! Sometimes biting into a giant piece of raw broccoli or a huge piece of cucumber can make me cringe a little, I think mostly related to the texture. But when finely diced, I love almost anything (ALMOST anything – finely diced onions are the worst!)

So the idea for this salad was to combine a bunch of little tiny vegetables into a superfood medley. Aka: vegetable confetti!

Yes, turning these whole veggies into tiny cubes did take me a lot longer, BUT how many times have you heard someone say that they find chopping vegetables sort of soothing? Turn on some music or a podcast, and it will be soothing. And the best news: the corn and navy beans are little tiny already 🙂

I steamed the sweet potatoes and broccoli in the microwave until both were tender, about 3-4 minutes for the taters and half that for the broccoli. Splash a little water on the bottom to help them steam. You could keep the broccoli raw too if you want!

Two finishing touches amp up the flavor: a few handfuls of freshly chopped herbs (I used parsley and mint from my garden) and a basic white wine vinegar dressing.

Enjoy this salad on its own or as a side dish. It will keep in your fridge for a few days, so it’s great for prep day! I had it with eggs on top and as a side to quiche for lunch.

Confetti Chopped Salad

This colorful mix of veggies, corn, beans, and herbs in a white wine vinegar dressing is great as a side dish or base for protein, like eggs or grilled shrimp. 

  • 1 small sweet potato
  • 1 broccoli crown
  • 1 red pepper
  • 1 yellow pepper
  • 1 can navy beans (rinsed and drained)
  • 1 can corn (drained)
  • 1 handful parsley + mint (chopped)
  • Salt + pepper to taste

For Dressing

  • 2 tbsp  white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 small garlic clove (pressed)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cane sugar or honey
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
  1. Dice sweet potato and steam for 4-5 minutes until tender. 

  2. Cut broccoli into little tiny florets and steam if desired for 1-2 minutes. 

  3. Finely dice both peppers. 

  4. Toss all veggies with beans and corn (both drained) in a bowl.

  5. Toss in herbs.

  6. Shake dressing ingredients in a jar and pour about half over salad. You will have extra!

  7. Finish with additional salt and pepper to taste. 

The post Confetti Chopped Salad appeared first on Kath Eats Real Food.



from Kath Eats Real Food http://bit.ly/2Q8JeOX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049