How Primal Has Helped Me in My Battle Against Multiple Sclerosis

It’s Friday, everyone! And that means another Primal Blueprint Real Life Story from a Mark’s Daily Apple reader. If you have your own success story and would like to share it with me and the Mark’s Daily Apple community please contact me here. I’ll continue to publish these each Friday as long as they keep coming in. Thank you for reading!

real_life_stories_stories-1-2As the old quote goes, “A picture is worth a thousand words.”

I knew I would be embarking on great changes in my life when I decided to document my photos of how I looked before Paleo. I was not shamed by my body nor embarrassed, however, I wanted to remember how I felt. My body felt expanded. I felt heavy and had pains and aches. I am still a work in progress but I am happy to show you the difference through pictures that my body has gone through due to changing to a Paleo lifestyle.

I started my Paleo transition in March of 2014 after reading Terry Wahls’ The Wahls Protocol and following Mark’s Daily Apple. I knew that it was time to make a change. You see, back in December of 2006, I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and at the time had lost complete feeling in my legs, was unable to walk without some sort of assistance, and I was unable to drive. At the time, I was at the young age of 26 being diagnosed with a disease with no cure. I had just graduated with my Bachelor of Science in Business Management and felt I had so much ahead of me. Then in one moment, I felt as if my life and soul was taken from me. I was very thankful that at the time I lived with great friends that were like family and helped care for me during a very difficult time. Happily, I was able to eventually feel my legs again and drive! I found a job that I loved and continued to move forward with my life, however, there would be moments that my disease would flare up and knock me down.

before

The most popular form of treatment is steroids for flares and various drugs to keep the disease from progressing. I would have to say I nearly took every drug on the market for the disease, and each one made me sick, or would have such bad effects on my quality of life that it became overwhelmingly depressing. However, I would continue to push forward and even met a wonderful man, who is now my husband, and we had a son in 2011. Again I faced some ups and downs with my disease, but I continued to be proactive, ultimately deciding to go off medication and try stem cell therapy. Stem cell therapy was one of the best things ever to calm my disease and allow me to feel “normal.” Sadly, after putting my family in major debt, I ended up having a flare about six months after. It was not long-lasting, but the flare was bad enough have reality hit home that I needed to do something more.

during

Enter the world of Paleo—I finally understood the power of food and what it could do to help our bodies and minimize inflammation. I was lucky to be part of a study that allowed me the opportunity to try stem cell therapy once more, in conjunction with being Paleo, and it has been over two years since my last flare!!!!

Of course I feel Paleo is not a one size fits all style of life, hence my blog, The Paleo Mix. It is important that you know that I am a mixer of sorts. I take pieces of Paleo from several sources along with dabs of other ideas. I am a mix of Paleo, AIP Paleo, and other protocols.

last after

I also have chosen to not use any medications for my disease. Instead I use supplements and my doTERRA oils. Now I am by no means against medication, and if needed, I will look at the options of its benefits and whether a particular medication is worth using for me and my family. That being said, and long story short, I take care of my health and well-being by eating and living a Paleo Mix life, along with supplements and my doTERRA essential oils and, of course, making sure to live life and laugh!

Johanna

Like This Blog Post? Subscribe to the Mark's Daily Apple Newsletter and Get 10 eBooks and More Delivered to Your Inbox for FREE

Save



from Mark's Daily Apple http://ift.tt/29OoybJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049