Laid Back

EmbraceFLEXIBILITY

I have noticed that I am a lot more mellow than I used to be in certain areas of my life. I have grown to embrace flexibility and just feel more go-with-the-flow than I used to.

Enjoy every workout

// Then I used to exercise Every.Single.Day. I rarely missed a day! I would muster up the willpower to get up at 5am on a travel day to run or if I had a busy day I would find a place and the time to squeeze in a workout. It was non-negotiable. I did a lot more cardio, and didn’t lift weights that often.

// Now Exercise is still very important to me, and I still enjoy it and workout most days of the week. I love the strength classes I take three times a week, my soccer games, the quick runs, and yoga classes I do from time to time. But I take a lot more days off than I used to, and I tend to focus on quality over quantity, and strength over cardio. If exercise doesn’t fit into my day or I don’t feel like working out, I don’t. I think this has been a good change because when I do workout I really, truly enjoy it.

Save time, save water

// Then This is sort of a silly one! I went years and years washing my hair every single day. My hair is fine, and so it shows grease faster than those of you who wash once a week. Sometimes I would wash my hair twice a day.

// Now Thanks to dry shampoo, I’ve been able to chill out on the hair washing a bit. My hair seems thicker than it used to be, so I don’t think it looks as bad the next day. And my hair is also so long now that washing and drying is a process. I’ve been able to use dry shampoo in the mornings and sometimes go a day without a wash. Huge time saver! (I do still shower every single day, sometimes twice. Gotta keep up the good hygiene!)

Mazen (1 of 3)-2

Eat to live or live to eat?

// Then I used to be pedantic about food planning, and I was always thinking about my next meal. I’d pack a day’s worth of snacks and meals to bring to the airport, and I’d make elaborate breakfasts first thing in the morning. I definitely lived to eat! (And I wrote about it three times a day!)

// Now I am so much more laid back about when and how I eat these days. I feel like my appetite isn’t as strong as it used to be, and I’m just not as hungry all the time. Perhaps this is related to doing less cardio? Sometimes I don’t eat breakfast until 9 or lunch until 2, and I have occasionally “forgotten to eat,” something I used to think was crazy. I only have a snack if I’m really hungry, and usually stick to three meals a day. I obviously still care very much about eating real food, good nutrition, and where my food comes from, but I’m not as strict as I used to be. Part of this change is probably just that I don’t have as much time as I used to before Mazen was born. Meals were a process back in the early blogging days, but now my goal is to get something healthy to eat on the table as efficiently as possible.

Large and in charge

// Then I have always been a leader, a planner, and a doer. I’d be the first to offer to plan something because it would give me control over the choices.

// Now I am happy to let other people take charge! I think this is related to becoming a parent, which means my life is more unpredictable, especially when Mazen was younger. There were so many logistics to worry about (feedings! naps! gear!) that I felt overwhelmed if I was also in charge of the beach trip meal plan. These days, I am relieved to sit back and let other people choose the restaurant, plan the vacation, or organize the party. (Don’t think I don’t help out – I just am more go-with-the-flow about the decision making!)

Foodblog (2 of 3)

The shift

I think that becoming a mom has been the most significant reason for why some of my habits have changed. Parenthood humbles you and forces you to selflessly focus your time and energy on someone else. It demands flexibility, something that I have really grown to embrace. I was once Type A and now I feel a bit more like Type A-. I’m still particular about some things, but I choose my battles wisely. With all the changes going on at home too, I think I just needed to declutter and create space in my brain a bit. My priorities have shifted, and I am living more in the present.

Have any of you noticed a difference in your personality over time? What about after having kids or a big life change?



from Kath Eats Real Food http://ift.tt/2boRFEX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049