Changes In Taste

Sunbutter

Remember when all of my breakfasts looked like that ^^ ?? Lots of nut (seed) butters, granola, chia, and fruit. Most of the time served over oatmeal or yogurt.

I can’t explain my palate. It is incredibly finicky, and I really have no idea what to expect when I wake up each day. My diet has changed a lot in the past 1-2 years, and not really for any intentional reason. I just evolved.

These days I am eating less…

>> nut butter. Still love it, but don’t feel the need to put it on everything like I used to. Favorites are Whole Foods brand peanut and almond! I don’t get to Trader Joe’s as much to get sunflower butter, and I still love crazy flavors, but only when I can find them easily 🙂

>> granola. Perhaps this is one of the more intentional changes, but I do get a little out of control when I have granola on hand, so I stopped buying it as much. Totally delicious though! My favorite kind remains the Nature’s Path brand that is airy and crunchy. I have such fond memories of the days when I tried a different granola every week! That was a delicious time in my life. Need to make a homemade batch soon!

>> bread. Less bread is coming in my front door these days, so naturally I’m eating a little less. Still going to Great Harvest when I do need to stock up though! Matt was a big “bread on the side of the meal” eater so I used to jump on that a lot, and request a small portion when he would toast his. I’m mostly just eating it for breakfast toast and the occasional sandwich these days.

>> dark chocolate. I used to CRAVE dark chocolate after meals. That craving is gone – no idea why. It might be because I just haven’t had any really good dark chocolate in the house in a while. Hmmm….!

>> craft beer. This is another “well if the beer drinker is gone….” type of taste. I’m finding too, though, that if I’m going to drink I’d like to drink wine, so I’m choosing beer less in public too. This could be seasonal though – I like a good thick craft brew in the winter!

>> Hugh Jass salads. (Say that one out loud if you’re confused!) I’ve been eating a lot more leftovers and vegetable sides this year, and just haven’t been into salads as much as I used to when I prepare them. When I’m out though, bring on the biggest kale salad one can find!

Foodblog (1 of 1)

And I’m eating more…

<< eggs. There has to be something physical about this because I got on an egg kick after Mazen was born and it hasn’t turned off yet. I think eggs make such a great breakfast, and with toast and fruit, I feel great. I used to want to feel super full after breakfast each day and oatmeal left me so satisfied, but now I like breakfasts that keep me fueled but don’t overload, and eggs/toast/fruit seems to do that.

<< wine. See beer comments above : ) Love me some vino!

<< coffee. I used to be all about the decaf coffee because I am sensitive to caffeine. Well, I am still sensitive to caffeine, but I’ve gotten hooked back on regular coffee. Particularly a French press pot of Shenandoah Joe’s with half and half. Still love my Nespresso machine for cappuccinos!

<< green smoothies. Smoothies have been my go-to all summer, and Mazen loves them too. I make a pretty hearty smoothie with oats, banana, peanut butter, Vega, spinach, and organic cow’s milk. It keeps me full until lunch, and is a great quick-to-make balance of nutrition.

<< cheese. Cheese is the new chocolate! I can’t get enough good cheese these days. Manchego, aged gouda, triple cream brie. It is fairly calorie dense, but I like to think the pros outweigh the cons 😉

<< steak. Randomly I have been craving steak more often. I used to eat a lot more vegetarian, but this is another one of those “blame it on pregnancy” cravings that has stuck with me. I do always try to choose grass-fed beef when out (like at Citizen Burger!) and always buy it for cooking.

<< alternative salads. I haven’t given up on salads! But I just got so tired of mixed greens and baby spinach. Lately I’ve been getting heads of romaine and making really crunchy salads, and of course long live the kale salad! I’ve been into making homemade creamy dressings too! Like this one all the time.

Salad

Interesting to note that there are both healthy and unhealthy foods that I wrote down, so I guess I traded some for others! I have no idea where my cravings are rooted and what causes taste to change. I’d like to think there’s a nutrition piece to this puzzle, but I’m not so sure. I do tend to literally crave salads after a day or two of less-than-ideal eating choices, but beyond that I doubt that my body is craving a nutrient that’s in a green smoothie. I think it’s more emotional and memory connected than anything else. What feeling does dark chocolate bring to me verses how I feel eating cheese? My cravings are seasonal too, and I think this list will probably change again in the next month or so as colder weather rolls in.

Groceries

What food can you not get enough of right now?



from Kath Eats Real Food http://ift.tt/2d5APcv

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049