How Do You Like Dem Oysters

^^Recent dinner at Public Fish and Oyster

While I have seafood on the brain this week ( 😉 ), let’s talk about oysters! Thomas and I ate all the oysters this past summer. Whenever we saw them on a menu, we got them. We had the chance to eat at Merroir, Rappahannock Oyster Company’s tasting room on The Chesapeake Bay in July.

I have always loved fried and broiled oysters, but I never really got the point of eating them raw. It’s the same reason I don’t like taking shots – why would you want to down your alcohol in one gulp when you could sip and savor a glass of wine for half an hour? I just didn’t get why anyone would want to swallow something whole without tasting it. There’s also added risk to eating them raw, so I didn’t want to chance it if I didn’t have any pleasure to gain. (Although a little research concluded that the risk is highest when eating raw oysters from the Gulf in the hot summer.)

But, because I love mussels and clams, I gave raw oysters a try this summer, and I realized how delicious they are if you actually chew and savor them. I know that it sounds gross, but that’s what won me over. Now I love to compare different kinds and debate which is brinier or butterier.

But beyond their complex flavor, oysters are so good for you! They’re rich in vitamins C and B12, but they’re best known for their zinc content along with selenium and iron.

I’ve found that people have strong opinions about how they like their oysters – raw or cooked, hot sauce or no, lemon or pure. I like mine with a little of everything. But no shallots!

So tell me: do you like raw oysters? What are your favorite kinds?

The post How Do You Like Dem Oysters appeared first on Kath Eats Real Food.



from Kath Eats Real Food http://ift.tt/2kEB8QB

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub