Healthy On The Weekends

^^ My melted butter spots look like mold but I promise they are waaaaaay tastier! Sunny side up!

A few weekends ago (I forget which one to reference) I cooked meals at home, didn’t go out to eat, got in some good workouts, didn’t have any parties, and basically just acted like it was a weekday. By Sunday night I felt like it was the healthiest weekend I’d had in a while. This got me thinking….I am a big fan of the squiggly line effect of weight maintenance, which I think in general leads to healthy weekdays and a more relaxed attitude on the weekends.

But what would happen if we treated the weekends like weekdays and the weekdays like weekends? I don’t mean go crazy five days a week and eat really well only two. But what if your week was more evenly balanced day after day, say, treat on Monday, healthy Tuesday/Wednesday, dessert and wine on Thursday, healthy Friday/Saturday, splurge Sunday….would you end up healthier and feeling less deprived than if you were five days on and two days off? Studies have shown that deprivation leads to overcompensation, so if you approached the weekdays with a more open attitude, would your weekends naturally be healthier?

I think I have gradually been doing this as I’ve become more of an intuitive eater. I’ll have a glass of wine on a Tuesday or go out to dinner on a Thursday and hopefully naturally balance that out by staying in and cooking on a Friday night. The days feel more equal to me than they once did.

Leftover pizza and salad for lunch. A good example of a weekend food (Belmont Pizza) eaten in a healthy context : )

And a yummy tofu, bok choy and rice dish! A Cook Smarts recipe.

Make sure to practice writing your letters this weekend! I bought several of these wipe-clean workbooks, and M loves writing in them. (Also, still TBD if he’s a lefty like his mommy!)

What do your typical weekends look like?

The post Healthy On The Weekends appeared first on Kath Eats Real Food.



from Kath Eats Real Food http://ift.tt/2m2Ev3J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049