The Big Fat Truth: Healthly Habits For Life

 

There’s a new show airing on Z Living called The Big Fat Truth, and I was invited to spread the word. Unlike some of the other weight loss reality shows, this one focuses on emotional and lifestyle changes to give people the motivation and optimism to begin a weight loss transformation. This show premiered on June 11 and airs on Sundays at 8pm ET.

It has been almost a decade since I lost 30 pounds and started this blog to document my weight loss success story. That is T E N years of my life I have shared with you guys, photo-documenting the “how” behind making healthy lifestyle choices.

My story starts at Davidson College: a foot injury that limited my exercise plus a typical college student lifestyle led me to a place where I was totally uncomfortable in my own skin. I hated how I looked in photos, and I tried my hardest to find clothes that were flattering. I really had no idea how much my lifestyle choices and my weight were intertwined. I figured I was just destined to be overweight as an adult.

When I graduated, moved into an apartment, and left all of the temptations of college life on campus, weight started to fall off of me. Cooking for myself was the only option, as I couldn’t afford to eat in restaurants or do take-out meals on a regular basis. When I started packing lunches to take to work and cooking dinners at home, naturally my portion sizes were smaller and the food was healthier. I also joined a gym and started to take spin and boot camp classes that were really fun. I really couldn’t believe that losing weight was so simple, and I was looking and feeling better.

I immersed myself in learning more about cooking, weight loss and nutrition and began counting calories to get a better idea of how much I was actually eating and some of the math behind what was happening in my body. I truly went through a lifestyle transformation.

A little over a year later, I had lost 30 pounds and wanted to share my story with the world, so I started a blog journaling my daily meals and showing people that getting healthy didn’t have to be boring or depriving but could actually be enjoyable and delicious.

During that same time, I went back to school to become a Registered Dietitian so I could eventually help others reach their goals too. My draw to nutrition has always been in the emotional and lifestyle aspects of weight loss more than the clinical and research side of the field.

Most people know the “what” and “why” of being healthy, but it’s the “how” that is difficult to figure out, so by writing about my own healthy lifestyle, I aim to be a good example of eating real food and being active on a daily basis. KERF has been going strong for almost a decade now, and it has changed my life in so many ways.

The Big Fat Truth is executive produced and  hosted byreality-TV pioneer JD Roth, and follows the journey as he  guides and mentors groups of overweight participants, posing challenges and providing the tools they need to accomplish their health and weight loss goals. Every week features a different set of contestants who are looking to change the bad habits that are the root of their health and weight problems.

There’s a FREE Big Fat 30 Day Challenge so you can follow along and reflect on your own lifestyle habits.

Check out the channel listing here or watch the first episode online here. I’m excited to see the changes these contestants make!

As for my own story, I think the following were the foundational changes that led me to be successful and that I continue to embrace today:

Frequently eating out in college –> preparing healthy meals at home

Recovering from foot surgery –> finding group ex classes I love and embracing a variety of sports over the years (strength class, soccer, yoga, athletic conditioning)

Dining clueless –> educating myself on nutrition and being mindful of the connection between food and health

Sitting a lot –> staying active throughout my day, especially after becoming a mom

Living that late-night college life –> maintaining a regular schedule with good sleep and predictable meal times

Surrounding myself with those who overate and overdrank –> Connecting with this wonderful online community of healthy living blogs

Per the Squiggly Line Effect, your health isn’t a flat line that never changes. It must adapt with you as you go through ups (like having a baby) and downs as you find the balance between being super health-minded and living a great life that works for you. What is most important is that you have awareness of the connection between your habits and your health.

The post The Big Fat Truth: Healthly Habits For Life appeared first on Kath Eats Real Food.



from Kath Eats Real Food http://ift.tt/2tPto2C

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub