This recipe is a healthier take on the classic panzanella, which means “bread salad” in Italian! It brings whole wheat bread, kale, squash, green beans, tomatoes and goat cheese together into a colorful, hearty salad. The goat cheese makes it!
I used whole wheat Cville Crunch bread from Great Harvest for optimal nutrition and fiber, but you can use either a healthy whole grain bread or a lighter Italian loaf if you prefer.
Rather than using plain lettuce, I used a medley of vegetables to create a rainbow of color, so this is a great salad to serve in your favorite big platter or bowl. This salad is fairly hearty, but you could always add your favorite protein on top to make it more of a complete meal.
Start by cutting the squash into half inch rounds, then place flat and cut into quarters.
Since I’ve been a bit down on all raw salads, I cooked the green beans and squash to soften them up.
Add the kale to wilt it a bit too!
Toast your pine nuts in a separate dry pan until they are fragrant and begin to brown. Don’t look away or they will burn!
Meanwhile, toast the bread in a toaster oven and cut into squares. And make the simple dressing in a jar on the side.
Assemble the veggies in a big bowl or platter, toss with dressing, and top with toasted bread cubes, goat cheese, pine nuts and basil.
One thing to note: if you intend to have leftovers, you might want to keep the bread separate and add as you enjoy the salad. It will lose its crunch if it sits in the dressing too long. The rest of the salad should be fine a day later though!
Yield 4-6 servings
- 2 cups of bread cubes (about 4-6 slices, depending on your bread size)
- 1 green squash
- 1 yellow squash
- 2 cups green beans
- 1 heriloom tomato
- 2 cups kale, torn off the stems
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- ½ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp basil, chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup white balsamic
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Dice yellow and green squash.
- Remove ends and discard ends of green beans, then cut in half.
- Tear kale into bite sized pieces.
- Add veggies to a skillet with 1 tbsp olive oil and saute until tender.
- Cut bread into cubes and toast until crispy.
- Toast pine nuts in a dry pan until fragrant and brown.
- Combine cooked veggies with tomatoes in a serving bowl.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a jar and mix well.
- Toss veggies with dressing.
- Add bread cubes, goat cheese, pine nuts and fresh basil on top.
from Kath Eats Real Food http://ift.tt/2wk4Csc