Seeking Peace In The Country

I’m sure many of you heard that we had a very scary weekend in Cville. It was quite surreal to have all of this happen in a city I love, and everyone was on edge all weekend. Many of us were worried about further violence, and following the urging of our mayor, stayed away from downtown so that first responders and law enforcement could best do their job to protect our city.

The weekend started out, for so many of us, with the normal parts of peaceful life here that make up the beautiful city you didn’t get to see on the news. Friday night, T and I went to Duners in Ivy and had a wonderful dinner.

Duck egg rolls:

The most amazing halibut! I can’t even tell you how delicious this lemon and herb vinaigrette was.

And peanut butter torte for dessert. Plus some bread, a side salad that came with my entree, and wine. I left way too full!

Saturday’s breakfast was Kodiak pancakes and fresh peach with an almond butter drizzle before we headed out of town to the mountains in the countryside.

We hiked and took in the beauty and peace at Crabtree Falls, a popular place to be on such a gorgeous summer day.

#operationbeautiful!

The falls kept going and going.

We stumbled upon a rock city!

At the top, we enjoyed Bellair sandwiches, rosemary chips, and the most delicious ginger cookie ever.

We had no cell service during our hike, so as we emerged, I received a flurry of texts and messages about what was going on downtown, including the horrible images of a car driving into a crowd of protesters.

There were a lot of folks from out of town here, and I was extra jumpy in my house since we live close to downtown. Mazen’s bath toys chose Saturday afternoon to come crashing down while we were in the basement watching the news, and my heart jumped out of my chest when I heard the sound.

Saturday evening we had a birthday party scheduled for my friend Erin at Veritas Vineyards. When we congregated, everyone had a lot of heartache to share about the day.

Veritas was hosting one of their “Starry Nights” themed outdoor concerts, and one of my favorite cover bands, The Legwarmers, was playing. We dressed in our 80s accessories and decorated with a unicorn theme.

I have never seen Veritas so crowded, and the lines for wine were literally 45 minutes long.

Lynsie made this epic cupcake cake!

I had a bunch of apps for dinner

And a coconut cupcake from Pearl’s Bake Shoppe for dessert!

The skies threatened storms all night, but the band was able to finish a great show in style. This night was just what so many of us needed, and a reminder that, even in the face of heartache and grief, we have so much good in our community to be grateful for.

My heart goes out to the victims and their families as well as the troopers who lost their lives protecting us. Thank you all for your texts, Instagram messages, and emails to check on our family this weekend. Should you wish, you can join thousands of us here in town giving to the family of the woman killed in Saturday’s attack.

The post Seeking Peace In The Country appeared first on Kath Eats Real Food.



from Kath Eats Real Food http://ift.tt/2hX316q

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049