Mini Prep Day

Like many aspects of my life, with the popular Prep Day, I waffle back and forth. Some weeks I do way more prep than others. It all depends on how my Sunday goes! If I have a full day of soccer or have been traveling, you can bet your bottom dollar that I will barely have had time to make a meal plan for the week. During the winter and summer when my Sundays are open, I do a lot more planning on the weekend.

It all comes down to this: unless I’m in a particularly good mood with nothing on my calendar, I don’t want to spend my Sunday in the kitchen. I’d much rather be playing outside with Mazen, going somewhere fun, or simply lounging on the couch. This realization has led me to admit that I will never be one of those people with a week’s worth of meals ready to go in tupperware. (There are some really impressive prep day divas out there!)

What I did decide, however, was that I could do a mini prep day. I’m talking 15 minutes in the kitchen, tops, just to take the edge off the week.

Here’s what I decided I could commit to that would help me have my healthiest week of eating:

  • One salad
  • One fish
  • One soup

Keep it simple.

Salad

For salads, massaged kale salads are the obvious best choice. They take minutes to assemble and they hold up well in the fridge for many days. Other ideas could be a wheatberry or rice salad. Or simply a pre-tossed, undressed salad (although that might take the longest to make and be the first to wilt).

Here are some massaged kale salad ideas. (Pesto is the easiest and the sesame oil version is so delicious!)

You might have to click through to see these if you’re in an RSS reader!

Easy Pesto Kale Salad

Easy Summer Massaged Greens

Tropical Kale Salad

Fish

Most weeks this will come in the form of canned fish! Tuna, salmon, and sardine salad is easy to make in 5 minutes flat. They are also sooooo good for you! And cheap!! But, a rotisserie chicken or any significant leftovers will do too. The only rules are that there should be no oven involved and the meal needs to be protein-centric. (Unless I have one of those magical cooking Sundays.)

Here are some of my favorite recipes!

Every Herb Salmon Salad

The Very Best Sardine Salad

Simple Sardine Salad

Curried Tuna Salad Recipe

Soup

And finally, soup. This is the hardest to fit into my 15 minute window, but my compromise is to make it either Sunday or Monday night for dinner and have the leftovers all week! The options are endless. Here are some ideas.

Smoked Sausage and Split Pea Soup

Summer Vegetable Soup With Pesto

Simple Split Pea Soup

Nutty Vanilla Sweet Potato + Kale Soup

Super Easy Crockpot Chili

So, what do you guys think? Sounds do-able, right?!

The post Mini Prep Day appeared first on Kath Eats Real Food.



from Kath Eats Real Food http://ift.tt/2nG4QaY

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049