Home Neat Home: Three Closet Makeovers

You guys know I love a good closet post!! Our house is very tidy on the surface, but the closets always do get quite messy! It’s that lifestyle creep that happens when you “accidentally” buy a new set of flannel sheets on sale at Target, even though you didn’t need any more sheets, and suddenly all the sheets are competing for the closet real estate! <– (This may or may not be based on a true story.)

So, in the spirit of simplifying and decluttering in the new year, I tackled three of the four major storage closets in our house. (Mazen’s closet is in good shape and mine is also breathing well. Thomas’s closet is his territory and I don’t dare go in there to organize!)

So the three closets on topic today are:

  1. The guest room closet
  2. The spare room closet
  3. The office closet

Previously, I had things stored where they were used most frequently. I had sheets in the master bedroom, sheets in the office closet for Mazen’s bed, and all the rest of the sheets and spare linens in the guest room. In the guest room I also had cleaning supplies, luggage, and two wedding dresses – yikes! Games and kid activities were split between the office and spare room. Everything was spread out by frequency of use, and each closet didn’t have a job.

If that all sounds confusing, that’s because it was! Something clicked in my head, and I decided I wanted each closet to have its own clear job, so this became the new plan:

  1. The guest room closet = linens and a few extra cleaning supplies
  2. The spare room closet = games and toys
  3. The office closet = office storage and crafty activities

Just look at this mess!!!

We were also significantly missing out on efficient storage space in all three closets due to all of the open air. None of these closets needed clothing rods – what we needed were shelves!

Luckily I live with a super hot handyman who was able to install shelving in 2/3 of the closets in half a day. We went to Lowe’s and bought simple wire shelving systems for each space.

Sadly, I don’t have a before photo of the guest room closet because I was too eager to take everything out, but this little cart from IKEA was filled with cleaning supplies and we had a metal rack with linens folded on it.

Here’s my blank slate to fill with neatly folded sheets!

I bought the pretty herringbone boxes at Lowe’s on a whim.

She looks nice, doesn’t she?!

Next up was the spare room closet, which was filled with so many toys! Mazen agreed to donate a good portion of them, which left us with a lot of blank space for new Christmas gifts. Most of his favorite toys are in his bedroom, but this closet is a great place for thinigs like his train set, Legos, Hot Wheels, and other things we get out and eventually put away.

Luckily this closet already had shelves. I put that white cart on the right to eventually hold all the Hot Wheels parts.

And on the left side, we have the old linen shelf that holds all of our games! (There are twice as many after Christmas!)

Finally, the office closet, which was the messiest of the three (as the upstairs catch-all stash!)

We moved the white cube organizer to the basement utility room for a future organization project there, and T built more shelves.

Say ahhhhh.

I have a little more work to do here, as I haven’t officially thought out what I’m going to store in here, but I am enjoying having it half empty for now! I think it will end up being part office storage (my umbrella lights are up there on the top shelf) and part arts + craft supplies. (The grey box is filled with Play-Doh.)

The leaf duo to our dining room table fit nicely on the left, out of sight!

So, there you have it, my friends! Three closet makeovers in one long post! : )

 

The post Home Neat Home: Three Closet Makeovers appeared first on Kath Eats Real Food.



from Kath Eats Real Food http://ift.tt/2E3WBwb

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049