NYE In DC – Part I

Merry 2018! We are wrapping up a little trip to Washington, DC for the New Year’s weekend. Mazen went back to NC to spend time with Matt’s side of the family, so Thomas and I figured we should take advantage and do something fun. His friend John invited us up for a dinner + concert on NYE. We took the Amtrak up on Saturday and spent two nights at the Kimpton Mason + Rook.

I LOVE Kimpton Hotels and have been staying in them for years. I always look for one when I need to book a room in a city. We stayed in one in NYC last year, and the Mason + Rook was great too. The decor is always swanky, they have great bathrooms and toiletries, there is a free wine happy hour and free wifi, and if you join their free rewards program you get a $10 mini bar credit. Kimptons are simply a solid service friendly hotel! (I have heard they were bought though, so hopefully nothing will change.

We were upgraded to a King Studio for no reason other than luck, and our room was so nice!

After settling in, we ventured out to find a museum for the afternoon. It was absolutely chilling outside, and while I was down to walk the 1.5 miles to get there, Thomas said “didn’t make it” and called an Uber. I haven’t felt air this cold in a really long time! I do not know how you Northeasterners do it.

We went to the National Gallery of Art. I loved how there were no tickets or formal visits – you just walked in and started browsing! The landscape paintings were my favorite, but I loved this KERF exhibit from the 1700s too!

We went over to Union Market afterwards to check it out and had some oysters for an appetizer! We <3 oysters!

We made our way back to our hotel’s neighborhood (so much waiting in the cold! so much spent on Uber!) and went to Le Diplomate for dinner. We didn’t have a reservation and ended up eating at the bar. I actually love eating at bars because I prefer sitting side-by-side to across-the-table. It’s cozier!

We had this salt cod and potato dip:

We also had some amazing bread, a glass of wine, and shared the steak frites for dinner with a side of green beans. Everything was great!

The next morning I went to the hotel workout room for a quick sweat session (the gym was very nice!) and then we met up with my high school friend Matt and his wife and cutest little baby boy for breakfast!

We ate at Slipstream – the same place I went with Anne back in Sept – it was right across the street! Thomas and I shared the eggs benny and avocado toast with goat cheese cream. Plus coffees and OJ. Delicious!

We said farewell to our friends and headed over to John’s house for a huge spread of apps!

To be continued…

The post NYE In DC – Part I appeared first on Kath Eats Real Food.



from Kath Eats Real Food http://ift.tt/2lCfxXM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049