Sweet 60: I’m More Fit Than Ever!

It’s Friday, everyone! And that means another Primal Blueprint Real Life Story from a Mark’s Daily Apple reader. If you have your own success story and would like to share it with me and the Mark’s Daily Apple community please contact me here. I’ll continue to publish these each Friday as long as they keep coming in. Thank you for reading!

I read The Primal Blueprint a little over a year ago and was inspired to try it. For decades I’ve been health conscious but have had little success avoiding the yo-yo cycle of weight gain/weight loss. The worst mistake I made was succumbing to the low fat craze in the 80s. I was a marketer’s dream!

I became aware of the perils of “white poison” (sugar, bread, etc.) about 10 years ago. As a nurse anesthetist, I was seeing an alarming number of children coming to surgery either overweight or obese with some of the maladies that come with it. Most notable were high blood pressure, high lipids, and depression. They were already taking a host of medications to
treat them as young as age 10!

It inspired me to write and publish a booklet called “Carbavoid….The Fuel for the Future,” but I was still delusional about grains and touted whole grains as a part of a healthy diet. Until I read The Primal Blueprint I was completely unaware of how unhealthy my diet was. I was amazed as I read it and became obsessed with learning all I could.

Cindy_BeforeI was surprised at all the information out there and yet surprised that there was so little knowledge about it in the general public. I readily consumed whole grains, dairy, soy, peanuts and legumes proudly, thinking I was promoting a healthy lifestyle. I also suffered daily bloating and abdominal discomfort, daily mid afternoon lethargy, and arthritis (that I blamed on genetics). 

When I decided to go Primal I spent a few days preparing, and I suggest this for anyone else. I cleansed my pantry of all the things mentioned above. A list can also be found in any Paleo related source. Then I carefully shopped around to stock my pantry and fridge with organic vegetables, uncured meats, cage free chicken and eggs….lots of eggs, ghee, macadamia nuts, berries, and olive, coconut and avocado oils.

The 1st week was very difficult and I kept a daily journal to document my progress. I’m so glad I did because I recently read it from the beginning and was so proud of myself for persevering. I suffered from brain fog and fatigue until day 5 when it gradually began to clear up. Then I experienced near euphoria as my mental clarity improved and energy level skyrocketed!

By the end of the month I noticed a decrease in knee pain from my arthritis and even canceled an injection I was due for. After the 1st month I knew I was hooked. I didn’t want to introduce anything that I avoided to start with, but I did eat a little more fruit. I began running and biking the low level way described in the book. I actually enjoyed working out because there was no pain involved.

I also went to the gym for 30-45 minute workouts for my muscle growth. Weight that had hung on my midsection for decades began to melt away. As my upper body became more lean I could appreciate the muscle growth I was obtaining.

As each month passed I would see another 2-3 pounds of fat melted away. It was comfortably slow because I was never hungry. After about 10 months I realized I was at a stabilizing weight and added more nuts and paleo protein friendly bars and shakes to my diet.

Cindy_AfterIt’s been 13 months now, and I am at a weight I haven’t seen since my early 20s! I am happy with my muscle definition, and strangers have complimented me out of the blue in public. I am more fit at age 60 than I’ve ever been in my life! I have motivated many coworkers and am happy to be a consultant for them when they are inquisitive about this lifestyle.

I will never go back to the lifestyle I lived for the first 58 years of my life. I choose not to have many “cheat” days, though I confess on Christmas I ate one of my mom’s yeast rolls AND a piece of her pecan pie with no harm done.

I encourage anyone but especially those who are already diagnosed with pre- or type II diabetes to give this lifestyle a chance. I guarantee that you will alter the course of your future for the better.

Good luck and hang in there!!

Sincerely,
Cindy Howlett

Final_Cindy

phc_webinar_640x80

The post Sweet 60: I’m More Fit Than Ever! appeared first on Mark's Daily Apple.



from Mark's Daily Apple http://ift.tt/2lZA9Jx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049