On Healthy Living While Pregnant

Running on Bald Head last month

Fitness

I wrote this post about pregnancy fitness at 23 weeks along with Mazen, and it was fun to re-read and compare this time to last. A lot of time has passed and so has my routine!

Running became a challenge almost immediately with Mazen. I think it was part physiological and part psychological. It’s already a challenge now, but I am more determined this time around to keep it in my routine.

So far I’ve continued to run, although my distance hasn’t crested 3.5 miles since January. Some days I feel amazing and like my old self, and some days I have to stop and walk every half mile. Other days I literally can’t run at all because every time I try my bladder feels like it’s going to burst despite being empty! I have to take it day by day. This spring weather is certainly helping though!

I’ve continued to take strength class with enthusiasm. Immediately after getting pregnant my body felt so fragile that I didn’t want to move around that much, but as I’ve entered the second trimester energy spike I’ve been pushing myself a little bit more with the weights and am feeling normal again doing all the cardio moves. I remind myself: “My arms and legs are not pregnant.” Just because I have a growing belly doesn’t mean my biceps should get a free pass to be lazy. (Meanwhile torso exercises like ab work are totally reasonable to modify.)I sometimes think I want to take the easier option “because I am pregnant” but I’m trying hard to really listen to my body and ask it if I really need the rest or modification or if I’m just creating an excuse to avoid a challenge. That said, I used to do 20 pound free weights and a 30 pound kettlebell, and I’ve already downgraded to 15 pound free weights and a 25 pound kettlebell for most of our exercises. They still feel very hard!

I haven’t been to yoga in a month, mostly due to our sunnier weather and being out of town for a week. Our studio isn’t that hot, so I feel ok with the temperature (and always bring cold water) but I’m not sure I’d be able to do as many of the floor and stomach moves. I am hoping to get back there soon to see how I feel. I do want to start going to the ACAC prenatal yoga class again soon because I loved it last time as a great way to unwind, focus on the baby, and connect with other moms.

I hope in a year I can get back to those soccer days! I miss soccer more than wine. 

 

Weight Gain

I remember with Mazen I gained a chunk of weight in the first trimester and then really slowed down once I got my appetite for healthy foods back. I am hoping I follow the same path this time because I definitely put on some weight this first trimester with all the nausea eating! I think with Mazen I really relaxed my diet in the beginning when I was sick and during the last month of pregnancy when I said “I better carpe diem!”

This time I feel more aware that every pound I gain on this side of the equation (that is not uterus, baby, blood, etc!) is a pound that I will eventually want to lose. How can I remind myself of this when all the delicious temptations of life present themselves? I think I need a picture of me post-Mazen remembering the hard work it took to get my figure back on my fridge. Or perhaps in my wallet when I’m most likely to be out to dinner and eating too much. Thankfully I am back to eating big salads for lunch and my old appetite has returned to normal – for now!

 

Nutrition

Now that I’m out of the first trimester craziness when I was eating anything and everything all the time, I’m not snacking that much and still doing three meals a day, mostly, with a late afternoon snack half the time. Most foods taste good again, and I’m craving seasonal things as the weather warms: salads, yogurt bowls, fresh fruit, and grilled meals.

I am obviously not drinking, so that helps to balance out those calories a little, although having mocktails do count! And lastly, I’ve been surprised that my sweet tooth has actually been better than it’s been in a really long time. I am wondering if warmer weather is to thank for that because I don’t crave sweets as much in the summertime.

I remember with Mazen getting to a point where I literally couldn’t fit much food in my stomach and having to re-adjust my meals to be more mini meals, so I am predicting that might happen again.

 

 

The post On Healthy Living While Pregnant appeared first on Kath Eats Real Food.



from Kath Eats Real Food https://ift.tt/2FV3Tzl

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049