Reimagining Leftovers

Leftovers form the backbone of my lunches during the week. For some meals we don’t have any, but I usually prepare meals for 3-4 portions, depending on if Mazen is with us, so that we’ll have at least one extra serving to use in lunches.  I’ve found that if I make more servings than that, say a soup that feeds 6-8, those extra portions go to waste. (Unless I have my act together and freeze some knowing I won’t eat all of it, but usually what happens is I realize I’m not going to eat something after it’s been in the fridge for 5 days and is probably not safe to freeze.) I hate wasting food and I know the more portions you make at once, the more efficient the meal, but I also know myself, my habits and my preferences and am realistic with my own expectations. I prefer to reimagine the leftovers into a new meal (usually a bowl/salad) instead of eating them exactly as we had them the night before.

So what I’m trying to say is there is a fine balance in our house between too little and too much food!

This was one of our recent dinners: baked panko-mustard salmon (inspired by this recipe!) over rice with diced bell pepper, wilted spinach, an herb dressing, parmesan and walnuts. Those strips are Dang Coconut Chips! I literally made this up on the spot!

VIDEOS

We had just a little salmon left plus about half a cup of rice and I morphed that into this yummy lunch the next day. (Yes, I am the queen of odd pairings, but there more flavor and texture the better IMO!) This whole bowl revolved around using Seaside Cheddar – it’s my current favorite!

Rice on the bottom with those two pieces of salmon, chopped heirloom tomato, nectarine, red peppers, a few greens (mostly for color – I was running low!) and Seaside Cheddar on top. Plus sea salt, pepper, and a tiny drizzle of olive oil. It was DELISH!

What are your lunch staples? Leftovers as they were eaten? Repurposed? Sandwiches? A jar of peanut butter at your desk?



from Kath Eats Real Food https://ift.tt/2MywXVo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub