Motherhood I

Grammie and Pea are here! Grandbaby number three for them! They got here on Saturday and are staying for a couple of days.

This time the snake is fake!!

VIDEOS

We had a little birthday party for Pea (November 1 birthday!) out by the fire pit yesterday.

Complete with afternoon smores and pumpkin beers!

When Grammie comes to town, the family room becomes a giant animal party. I don’t go down there until it gets cleaned up at the end because I can’t handle the chaos! Exhibit A:

Here are some updates!

On Birch!

^^ Fox outfit! I love everything Kickee pants! The fabric is SO soft!

We are loving every inch of this little squish!! (I just typed squash – haha! #fall) So far he’s been pretty easy to sooth, and we’re just rotating eat / sleep / eat / sleep round the clock. The Dock-a-Tot has been awesome to have on the couch as a little nest that keeps him safe from rambunctious six-year-olds and drooling dog, but I can’t say he really loves it. He’s happy in it for about 15-20 minutes after nursing or while he’s alert. I’m glad we have it though because it prefer it to an on-the-floor bouncy seat.

We’ve been doing a ton of baby wearing. I posted on Instagram about the Solly baby wrap and many of you swore by it. My friend Tricia dropped hers off on my doorstep the next day! I like it a lot more than my Boba because the fabric is SO soft and thin and it’s not quite as stretchy as the Boba. Thomas likes it too!

Our first night home Thomas basically sat up all night holding B in an armchair skin-to-skin alternating with me nursing. Birch was not happy with any flat-on-the-back sleeping situation, including his Halo Bassinet. The following night we brought up the old rock n play that I found a few weeks ago under a bed (thankfully!) and had a MUCH better time. (I consulted with our pediatrician at our Friday appointment and she said it’s fine for newborn use but to try to transition to the bassinet periodically until he likes it. I caved and bought the newborn insert for the Halo and that is coming today, so I will report back on if he likes that too. I’d love to have him in the Halo so he’s at a good height next to my bed.

I’ve actually been getting up and sitting in the arm chair in our room to nurse. I find it’s easier to hold him with My Breast Friend (<– a must have!) in a chair with arms than in my bed, even if it means getting up. I put a robe over my shoulders and a blanket in my lap and we are quite cozy! I often have a snack and text with other moms. I actually look forward to these middle of the night sessions. It’s the soothing back to sleep part that I dread a little (thankfully Thomas has been helping with that!)

Lastly, we also tried the Ollie swaddle that my sister bought us on night two and LOVE it. It’s so simple to put on, and I love the thick fabric. Birch seems to like it too, and while he has managed to get his little hand out once or twice, I think those times we just didn’t get it quite snug enough. I am thinking of getting a second one and sticking to using it for the long term. The big swaddle blankets are great, but I can put on the Ollie in about 2 seconds and those seconds are precious when baby is crying.

On Activity

^^Our first stroller walk around the block!

KERF’s gonna be heavy in the baby department for a while, but I promise I do intend to get back into food + fitness eventually. I am emotionally and limb-ready to get out there and go for a run, but my core and pelvic floor are no where near ready to do anything but walk around the block. I met up with Carly and Erica who also just had babies for a quick walk in the neighborhood. It felt so great to get outside, but after about 30 minutes I could tell that my abs and other areas were so weak that I had to spend the next hour on the couch resting! One day at a time.

5 days + 4 weeks  + 8 days

On Food

While I was in the hospital I was FAMISHED. I literally ate anything that was put in front of me – Poptarts (hadn’t had one in 20 years!), peanut butter crackers, mediocre hospital food. I ate a bowl of plain oatmeal topped with butter and proclaimed it the best bowl of oatmeal ever (haha).

Back at home I’m eating healthier, and my appetite is stabilizing. Our neighbors brought us the best box of breakfast goodies from Albemarle Baking Company. That muffin was the bomb! (Do people still say that?!)

Thomas and I ate rotisserie chicken two nights in a row with some sides from the Whole Foods hot bar, and now that my parents are here we have an assortment of options. Mom brought mac and cheese and chili and Thomas smoked a pork shoulder yesterday.

Mom’s apple crisp!

On Brothers

Gussie and Mazen are adjusting to their new brother nicely. Mazen is warming up day by day and takes a break from playing to run by to touch Birch’s head or give him a kiss. I’m usually yelling “hand sanitizer!!!” in the process because he’s also been playing well with the neighbors and the dirt outside! There’s only so much germ-coptering I can do though.

We gave B his first sponge bath and Mazen was a great helper with the washcloths. He did some washing too. He has zero interest in diaper changes though : )

That’s about all I have time to report on now. I’m hoping to work on Birch’s birth story in the next few days! I’d also love to share some of the must-haves I’ve loved postpartum this time around. All in good time 🙂

Finally, can someone recommend a really good de-puffing eye cream? I don’t feel as tired as my eyes look but they are so puffy! I used to have an amazing kind about 10 years ago but I don’t remember the name!



from Kath Eats Real Food https://ift.tt/2JEnAi8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049