Banana Smash Toast

All over the internet I see photos of toast topped with peanut butter and sliced bananas. Good…but I have something better. I like to call this “banana smash toast.” Smashed bananas have the best texture underneath creamy peanut butter. And this toast makes a perfect pre-workout breakfast.

Why Smash?

Not only does smashing your banana make this toast slightly easier to eat (no more bananas falling into your lap!) but the smashing breaks down the banana cells in such a way that (in my opinion) it’s sweeter and softer. Or you could say “fluffier!”

How To

A lot of people on the internet put their peanut butter down first and put banana slices on top, but I think the peanut butter gets hidden in there! So I start my banana smash by literally mashing half a banana into my *very well* toasted toast with a knife. (Obviously soft bread might tear, but toasty toast stands up well to the smash knife.)

Next comes the peanut butter on top – usually 1.5 tablespoons or so. This way you get peanut butter flavor to the max.

Next I add something crunchy like chia seeds and coconut flakes. Granola works well too!

And finally a drizzle of something sweet. Honey is the obvious choice, but I used my bourbon maple syrup from Great Harvest and fell out of my chair.

My Favorite Pre-Workout Breakfast

This is my favorite breakfast to have before my morning treadmill run because it is very energizing and satisfying. I plugged it into a recipe calculator and found it to be 330 calories, 12 grams of protein, 10 grams of fiber and 15 grams of sugar (mostly natural from the banana.)

The Recipe

Banana Smash Toast

This power toast with banana, peanut butter, chia, coconut, and maple syrup will both energize and satisfy you! It’s ideal as a pre-workout snack or quick breakfast. 

  • 1 slice whole wheat bread
  • 1/2 banana (Ripe is best! Green bananas don't smash well.)
  • 1.5 tbsp peanut butter
  • 1/2 tsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 tsp unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 1/2 tsp maple syrup or honey
  1. Toast bread until nice and crisp.

  2. Smash banana into bread with knife. 

  3. Top with peanut butter.

  4. Sprinkle on chia seeds and coconut and drizzle with maple. 

  5. Cut into four pieces to enjoy bite by bite. 

The post Banana Smash Toast appeared first on Kath Eats Real Food.



from Kath Eats Real Food https://ift.tt/2IQCKnO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub