Fitness Update: Six Months In

It’s been six months since I had a baby completed the biggest fitness event of my life and I’m here to share an update on fitness!

Previous posts on postpartum fitness

Postpartum Fitness: Easing In

What’s New In Fitness (February)

My Treadmill

Aaptiv v. iFit

So what’s new?

I’m running a LOT.

Both inside and out! The old treadmill is gone. A nice couple came to haul it away. I also turned my new treadmill around so that it faces in. This was the smartest solution for us to be able to use both doors in there. And luckily there is an outlet inside the water heater closet there. It’s not quite a fun to run facing a door, but most of the time I’m watching the iFit screen anyways so it’s fine. How am I liking the Nordictrack a few months in? LOVING IT.

I’ve finished my first 24-run iFit program and definitely felt my running ability improve. When I first got this treadmill, running at or above a speed of 8.0 felt like a full on sprint. At the end of my program (which I think took me about five weeks because I didn’t run everyday) 8.0 felt like a fast run but not a sprint.

Most of the Fast + Fit in French Polynesia runs were 20-25 minutes, which I loved. They would leave me sweaty and spent. I just started a new series – Fast + Fit in Portugal – and the runs are a little longer. The program is slightly different, and I’m excited to get going on it.

Kids Zone

Now that the yucky winter sickness epidemic is over, I’ve been taking Birch to KidsZone once a week for strength class. Honestly that’s the only class that is worth it to me to haul him there for, mostly because I’m almost as happy working out at home while he naps. It’s just easier than packing up to go out. But it’s been nice to get back to strength class a little. The last time I went I had to wake B up from his nap and he was pretty grumpy about it, so I’m not sure I’m going to be able to go every week, but my plan is to go whenever he wakes up and the timing works.

Typical Week

Here’s what my typical weeks look like:

Sunday: Soccer!! Favorite day.

Monday: Run (sometimes outside if sitter or Thomas are home)

Tuesday: Run

Wednesday: Strength

Thursday: Run

Friday: Run

Sat: Athletic conditioning class

That’s a lot of running and not a lot of diversity.

I know. Ideally I would have a different kind of workout every day of the week! I’m definitely lacking in strength, although sometimes on indoor run days I do a 10 minute quick strength session with Aaptiv. I’m totally lacking in yoga. Zero cycle. I just can’t focus through long classes right now, and short sprint workouts are much preferred. I’m actually enjoying all the running because it’s just so easy to zoom out the door or onto the treadmill. And in this season I need workouts that are super efficient. I will get back into strength eventually.

I remember at the Survivor Retreat – which was summer 2015 – I was doing a ton more strength training with heavier weights and my arms showed that. (Watch this video! I want to get back to that strong of an arm!) I also know that when Birch is older and my life is more flexible, I’ll be able to devote more time to strength.

Throwback to 2015

Running –> Races?

While I’m doing more running, however, I feel like I should sign up for a race! I used to run a lot of races when I first started the blog and then I got out of the habit of running when I started taking Mazen to Kids Zone. (You can’t leave the gym to run outside while the kids are in there.) Maybe I will sign up for the women’s four miler at the end of the summer!? I feel like if I ran a race now I would be faster than my old self, but I think that I would actually be way way slower! Sometimes I feel like I’m running really fast and I look down at my watch and I’m running a 10 minute mile :mrgreen:

Throwback to 2010!

2x Soccer

Spring soccer is going great. It’s wonderful to get back into the sport, and soccer days are always my favorite workouts because it’s so FUN! I’m also signed up for two weeknight soccer leagues this summer. Women’s indoor at the YMCA (the same one I do in the winter) and also co-ed summer soccer on Thomas’s team!! I’m excited to play co-ed again, and we’re glad to be on the same team. We will have to rely on babysitters a bit more than we used to and/or we might have to trade off pushing the stroller at the soccer field, but we will make it work! Since Thomas and I technically met for the first time playing on a summer league together, it kind of feels like full circle!

Throwback to 2016!

You know what’s most important about fitness?

HAVING FUN! And that I am!

The post Fitness Update: Six Months In appeared first on Kath Eats Real Food.



from Kath Eats Real Food http://bit.ly/2UMYmSM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049