Oh Baby Whole Wheat Muffins

I decided I wanted to make the healthiest muffin I could dream up.

Why? Because I wanted to feed it to my child! And there’s a secret ingredient. Read on to see what it is! I realized how good muffin “crumb” was for babies when I had one recently and pulled off little bits for Birch to eat. He LOVED IT! Since muffin is usually on the fluffy + spongy + soft side of the bread spectrum (aka no chewy crust), it melted in his mouth so he could enjoy one despite having no teeth. I was able to put little bits on his tray to feed himself.

(Disclaimer make sure bites are small and age appropriate, do not hand them the whole muffin, and never leave a baby unattended while eating!)

The Wholesome Ingredient List

  • Whole wheat flour + oats
  • Apple sauce
  • Only 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
  • Cinnamon
  • Whole milk
  • A small amount of melted butter
  • Egg
  • And a secret ingredient….. a baby pouch!!

Yes baby food!

Before you click away, hear me out. Most of the pouches are fruit based – like applesauce – which many of us use for healthier baking! This one wasn’t a green kale puree, but instead had pumpkin, apple, peach, and buckwheat. You can simply double up on applesauce if you want OR you could boldly use one of the vegetable based pouches and see how it goes! Zucchini muffins are good right?!

Birch loves them. And I do too.

All that really matters is that the baby loves them. But the first grader (!) and I did too. Since there is minimal sugar involved, these really are not sweet. They are almost like a cross between a quick bread and a freshly baked whole wheat bread. But since I like my muffins not-too-sweet, these were perfect for my palate. I enjoyed them toasted with a little peanut butter on top.

The Recipe

Oh Baby Whole Wheat Muffins

These baby-friendly muffins use a pouch of baby food to add nutrients and flavor. They also have minimal sugar and plenty of good-for-you ingredients like whole wheat flour, oats, applesauce, cinnamon, egg, and whole milk.

  • 1 cup ww flour
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 tbsp brown sug
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 baby food pouch (1/2 cup in the pouch)
  • 1 egg (lightly beaten)
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1 tbsp vanilla ex
  • 2 tbsp butter melted
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a muffin tin. Add wet ingredients in to bowl. Gently fold in remaining dry ingredients. Bake for 18 minutes and use a tooth pick to stick in center and evaluate doneness!

The post Oh Baby Whole Wheat Muffins appeared first on Kath Eats Real Food.



from Kath Eats Real Food https://ift.tt/2jDoNxE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049