Ways to Get Fiber, Vegan Macros & Does Collagen “Count” as Protein?

Welcome to the first Instagram Live of 2020! It’s been awhile, hasn’t it?

I’ve received some awesome questions from you guys, so I have four that I’ll answer today. And, of course, keep those questions coming. Feel free to comment below or send me an email or DM on Instagram.

What are some good ways to get fiber in your diet?

So, good ways to get fiber… I think the most obvious is vegetables and fruit. They are super-duper nutritious and have loss of fiber. Other heavy-hitters are oats, ground flax, beans, lentils, quinoa, avocado (did you know avocado is a good source of fiber?). And if you work with me as one of my nutrition clients, you will track your macros and your daily fiber intake. Fiber is so good for digestion, gut health, hormones, weight loss, and more. Fiber goals will depend on the individual. I typically tell my clients to aim for 25 to 35 grams. But, of course, it depends on the person. If you don’t typically eat fiber, going from eating no fiber to 25 grams in a day might cause some digestive issues. Start slow and build up to adding more and more each day.

What would vegan macros look like?

So, that’s the beauty of macros… they work for any diet, so you can be vegan, vegetarian, paleo, gluten-free… whatever way of eating you enjoy. For a vegan, I would typically lower their protein goal, increase their carb goal, and go with a moderate fat goal. Giving a vegan a super high protein goal is just not realistic. I mean, are they going eat tons of tofu? I don’t know… maybe they really like tofu, but it doesn’t seem very appetizing. As a vegan, it’s tough to get a ton of protein, so I would give them more of a realistic balance, especially with regard to carbs for foods like beans, lentils, and grains. I’d start with a ratio like P 20% C 50% F 30% and see how it goes.

Does collagen “count” as protein?

I think it does. You’ve probably heard that collagen is not a complete protein because it doesn’t have all the essential aminos acids in it. I read somewhere it has 8 of 9 of them, so that’s why it’s not technically a complete protein. If you’re eating meat and other sources of animal protein, you’re good to go. You got your bases covered as far as amino acids go.

One thing to know about collagen is that it works better with vitamin C. You don’t necessarily need to consume it with a vitamin C supplement, but if you’re having collagen in in your coffee in the morning, have some fruit or broccoli or something with vitamin C to help it work better.

What is something that drives you crazy about Mal and vice versa? 

Mal is probably gonna kill me for even mentioning this because I annoy him so much about it, but he’s a really heavy breather at night and sometimes snores. It just drives me nuts! I used to wear earplugs, but I feel out of the habit. Now we have a window fan on the floor in our bedroom that drowns out the heavy breathing/snoring.

What drives Mal nuts about me… I leave cabinets and drawers open all the time. I don’t even realize I do it. I feel like I’m pretty aware of what’s going on around me in most situations, but I’m just so oblivious to cabinets and drawers. I shut them as soon as I see them open because I know it drives Mal crazy, but I’m just such a space cadet when it comes to that.

Another thing I’m working on, but, again, it just doesn’t cross my mind…. when I brush my teeth and spit in the sink, I don’t run the water because I think it’s extremely wasteful, so I’ll spit right on the drain and then not wash it down. I just wash off my toothbrush and put it away. Most of the toothpaste spit goes down the drain, but not all of it. It just stays there and that drives Mal crazy. He’s like, “It’s so gross… blah, blah.” So I’m doing my best to wash it down the drain, but sometimes I just forget.

So, there you go. I know it’s all little petty things, but neither of us are annoying at all! 🙂 Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this edition of CNC Live. Keep the questions coming and have a great day!

The post Ways to Get Fiber, Vegan Macros & Does Collagen “Count” as Protein? appeared first on Carrots 'N' Cake.



from Carrots 'N' Cake https://ift.tt/35RkX67

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Workout Coffee Protein Shake

Evernote Review: Your Digital Organization Hub

Lyme Disease, Protein for Women, Acid Reflux while Fasting | THRR049